9/13/12

Panorama of the Colony


We are glorified ants with pants
who want romance
to numb the sleep-speed of our blue evolution
the oceans
the trashy television shows
the duality of pompous business people
and empty fields in Wyoming.

Do you think there is any hope for us?
I'm laughing and falling down
and ordering another drink.
Do you think God is physics or
is the notion of omnipotence contrived in and of itself?
Something we made up because we are scared?
It's a load of stinky shit
to not feel the spirit of things, though.  People like that
should die.

Glorified ants with pants
paving highways
building up and out
making new islands of trash
playing games
loving parents, children, and family
the biology of blood
reproduction
writing songs and novels
tinkering with chemistry
because our brains are big enough
but it doesn't make anyone a "nice" person.

Glorified ants with pants
sexual fantasies
jerking off
the heat of flesh in youth
those afternoons when oblivion
starts making noises
in your nerves
and the music on the radio keeps slamming
a nail into your heart
until the thing is mashed
and for just a second or two you get why
humans create art
or take that first hit of crack
or blow some stranger in their car
or tip the bartender an extra dollar
or walk into the woods somewhere
and never come back.

Glorified ants with pants.
For me it's smoking a cigarette before dreams.
Lying on my back in bed
maybe during a carefully chosen song
or maybe after reading a book
in May with the window open
a car with a bad muffler
and then just the wind in a tree
the candle by my head burning
the smoke I pull in flowing back out
my mind tracing the day
my soul or whatever that is
feeling thankful for the people I enjoy
my feet feeling the tingle of nicotine
my broken pinky finger healing itself
somewhat crookedly
my exhaustion that I ever convince myself
I am anything besides an organism
intermingled amongst other organisms
on a sphere moving like other spheres
until the thing isn't here.

May 25, 2012  9:28pm
before WY and CO
with Matt, Morgan, Alex, Jake, Lindsay 

No comments:

Post a Comment